2021 Charities & Donation
OUR OFFICIAL CHARITIES
The Econet Victoria Falls Marathon invites you to make your run more meaningful by fundraising for charity!
Covid has been especially harsh on our charities in Victoria Falls that are normally totally reliant on tourism to support them. We appeal to our participants to make a donation where possible to one of our official Charities when registering, you can make a direct payment towards one of these charities while at the same time paying for your entry:
- The Greenline Africa Trust – Greenline Africa is an active locally based Trust that works with local communities in and around Victoria Falls. This year we are focusing on WATER for COMMUNITIES. Water, no matter who you are, where you live, or what you do, your life depends on WATER. Help us to help Communities in need. Every drop counts.
- The Vic Falls Anti-Poaching Unit – The Victoria Falls Anti-Poaching Unit is a non-profit organization dedicated to the conservation of our local wildlife and natural resources.
- The Vic Falls Environment Watch – VFEW is a trust of people concerned about Victoria Falls and its surrounds, and as such, seeks to situate itself as a stakeholder/public interest body that shall be consulted for the conservation, protection and development of this area. VFEW aims to work closely with the Environmental Management Authority, National Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, Victoria Falls Town Council, the private sector, and other stakeholders in achieving the betterment of the area.
- Victoria Falls – Feed a Child – Utilising seven churches and school locations across Chinotimba and Mkhosana, the Children’s Feeding Programme, organised by the Pastoral Counselling and Community Support Group and the Victoria Falls Covid-19 Taskforce, aims to provide one meal per day, Monday to Friday for school-age children in the region. It is estimated that there are approximately 8,000 children enrolled in different schools across Victoria Falls and at this stage it is uncertain what percentage of these children will require support through the programme.
- Ranger Alert - A Campaign to Make a Difference for the Fighters on the Frontlines for Conservation in AfricaWildlife rangers have a hard life, in some of the most challenging and unforgiving environments on Earth. They do not seek glory and they do not look for any reward, other than the satisfaction of knowing that they have helped preserve Africa’s fauna and flora for future generations. The rangers are, quite literally, the frontline troops in the battle to stem the increasingly vicious tide of poaching by well armed, well financed and well organised poaching gangs.
These, often unsung, heroes of conservation deserve greater recognition and respect for their tireless efforts in protecting the wildlife for our children’s children to see and wonder at over the decades and centuries to come.
To that end, the Zambesia Conservation Alliance (ZCA) in partnership with the Commonwealth Conservation Network (CCN) initiative of the Commonwealth Youth Orchestra is establishing a fund in order to recognise,
in a practical way, these frontline heroes of conservation.
Known as the Ranger Alert Campaign and focusing initially on the Zambesia region of Southern Africa, the mission is twofold in its utilisation of the funds raised:
To contribute financially towards annual life insurance cover for the rangers in the field – the vast majority of whom do not benefit from such a safety net. This will give rangers and their families peace of mind in the unfortunate event of becoming incapacitated in the line of duty, or if they make the ultimate sacrifice in defence of our wildlife.
To provide a memorial at the entrance to National Parks and other protected game management areas in the Zambesia region, in remembrance of those rangers who have laid down their lives. Alongside this an education programme will be run, aimed at both the international community and the local
communities that live side by side with wild animals, in an effort to show the rangers in their true light, the genuine heroes of wildlife conservation.
The Ranger Alert Campaign will be designed to sensitise the world to the magnificent work being carried out by these heroes, while at the same time raising the millions of pounds needed to protect their backs in times of need.
The ZCA and the CCN urge everyone who can to back the Ranger Alert Campaign - either financially or through spreading the message - so collectively,
we can support those who are doing so much to preserve our children’s heritage.
For further information on Zambesia please visit: https://www.zambesia.com/
For more about the Ranger Alert Campaign, please email: email@example.com