Vic Falls Marathon Quailifying Event
Abbott World Marathon Majors
It is with great delight that we can announce that due to the new date change to December, the 2020 and the 2021 Econet Vic Falls Marathon falls within the 3rd edition of the Abbott World Marathon Majors Wanda Age Group World Ranking Series and is officially recognized as a qualifier to this highly acclaimed International Series.
Tim Hadzima, Executive Director of Abbott World Marathon Majors said:
“The interest and excitement around the series continues to build, and as the second edition is in full swing, we are busy working to expand into new locations for the third year.
“With the increase in world ranking races, we hope to give even more runners the chance to find a qualifying event within reach, and realize their dream of trying to make it to the world championships.
“Thank you to all our partners and race organizers who help us develop the opportunities for age group runners across the globe.”
For runners wishing to participate in this World Series, the following needs to be noted.
- Qualifying period for the 3rd edition runs from 1 January 2021 to 31 December 2021
- Fourteen-month cycle for participants to earn up to two qualifying times and a place at the AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championships in 2022.
- Participants in an AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Ranking qualifying race will earn points according to their age, time and gender, aligned with the following age groups for men and women: 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+.
- The spread of the AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group Qualifying Events creates a truly global series throughout the year, giving runners across the world the chance to be part of a new era of age group marathon running.
- Due to the extended length of the 3rdedition of the world rankings to take us through to the end of 2021, some marathons will have their 2020 and their 2021 events included in the same qualifying period.
- Where a race is featured twice in the one ranking period, runners can score points in both editions and use them as their two point-scoring races.
Wishing all participants the very best of luck and glad you’re using our event as a qualifier to this fabulous series.